Late Night DX - Sable Island


I just got lucky as I tuned around the HF bands before bed I heard a faint signal calling CQ DX. I was listening carefully on 14.160MHz SSB and realised it was VA1AXC operating from Sable Island under the call CY0/VA1AXC.


 At first CY0/VA1AXC was coming in with a 5/1 signal at my end and I did not think I would be heard, I gave my call sign an airing and woe and behold I was heard first call 5/5 in Sable Island. As we exchanged information  CY0/VA1AXC came up to a nice 5/5 signal, I was running my FT1000MP, 100W into the Cobweb. As I am posting this I am still listening to CY0/VA1AXC who has a nice pile up going on and has decided to now work split frequency. I was very lucky to have been the first station he worked whilst it was nice and quiet, some good timing and not been afraid to try my PTT paid off well as there is only 6 people on Sable Island and I just worked one of them!. 73 GN!

Comments

Unknown said…
Your comments, very similar to mine. I worked the same station late evening in May 2015. 20m was pretty quiet. Tuning casually across the band i heard a fairly weak signal. I could not believe my luck , it was CY0/VA1AXC. I called back not thinking he would hear me. To my surprise he did. There was a short qso and i was in his log. My equipment used at the time was a TS870, 100W into a Hustler 4 band vertical antenna. Looking up his qsl info was direct to his qsl manager in Japan. I sent my qsl card and received CY0/VA1AXC card within a week. Now that has to be good in any ones book. Little disappointed he was not in Lotw. Just recently March 2017 I was just doing some checks on the Lotw website,and there was the qso we had last year which counted towards my dxcc credits. Brilliant.
Reg G0OOF England
MØYKS Simon said…
Excellent stuff Reg, I love catching rare stations especially when everyone else is in bed. Thanks for sharing and good to hear you gained some DXCC credits. Happy DXing my friend and best 73. De Simon M0YKS

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design